"eighteen years old"
30-second sample - Accessible text file
The music video
W.C. Blackmon's new song "Eighteen Years Old" and its music video address the troubling subjects of sexual assault and human trafficking in a compassionate and artful way. Learn more about these issues and the organizations dealing with them by reviewing the information below and visiting the links.
- Every 73 seconds an American is sexually assaulted.
- On average, there are 433,648 victims (age 12 or older) of rape and sexual assault each year in the United States.
- One in every six American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime.
- One out of every 10 rape victims is male.
- Females ages 16 to 19 are four times more likely than the general population to be victims of rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault.
- 21% of TGQN (transgender, genderqueer, nonconforming) college students have been sexually assaulted, compared to 18% of non-TGQN females, and 4% of non-TGQN males.
- American Indians are twice as likely to experience a rape or sexual assault compared to all races.
- More than 50% of criminal human trafficking cases are sex cases involving children.
- An estimated 24.9 million people are victims of human trafficking.
- Every year in the U.S., thousands of human trafficking cases are reported, but many more go unnoticed.
- 600,000 to 800,000 women, children, and men are bought and sold across international borders every year and exploited for forced labor or commercial sex.
- An estimated 76 percent of transactions for sex with underage girls start on the Internet.
- Human trafficking has surpassed the illegal sale of arms and is expected to surpass the illegal sale of drugs in the next few years.